Children are often seen as a source of conflict in couples’ relationships.
- Having children dramatically alters ones lifestyle.
- Evokes a myriad of emotions (joy, anger, sadness)
- Deeper conflicts such as those that are not resolved from the individuals’ relationship with their parent/s.
- Relationships are highly stressed by infertility as the inability to conceive evokes many emotions and thought processes such a questioning of self and purpose.
- Children leaving the household also may provoke conflict in the relationship as the children often serve as buffers between the parents.
- This period is often referred to as a mid-life crisis where people contemplate: “I did what I was supposed to. I went to medical school, got married, had children, got the house with a white picket fence, got a dog and a cat and I am not happy.”