All couples have problems with communication. • Communication is done through prosody, gestures, touch, facial expressions and intuition. • There are four taboos of communication: 1. No criticizing 2. No defending 3. No defending 4. No uncontrolled or vented anger • There are seven methods of communication: 1. Play Talk 2. Information Exchange 3. Casual Conversation 4. Intellectual Discussion 5. Problem Solving 6. Talking and Listening (The Dialogue of Intimacy) • Utilization of any of the above forms of communication contributes to quality time.
Talking and Listening
- This is The Dialogue of Intimacy.
- This method is not interactional. Each person stays in place for the entire time.
- Talking means talking about feelings and listening means listening to feelings.
- If this is not working there is criticizing and defending.
- This is connecting. All else is contact.
Three Kinds of Talking and Listening